Lists words of files that contain text
WordDump is an application for extracting all the words from documents, or text selections, and presenting them as a list, optionally accompanied by their frequency in the document.
Better yet, the WordDump app also provides this function conveniently as a Service, in any app Services menu or its contextual menus, along with other other auxiliary service functions explained below.
As a service you can apply the functionality to text selections in an app that support services, such as Safari or TextEdit.
The extracted word list can be ordered alphabetically or by their frequency in the document. Supported document formats include Text, PDF, HTML, RTF, and RTFD, but any document that can be indexed by Spotlight is supported by WordDump.
Once the application is installed, and run once, the Keyboard System Preference pane can be used to access Services Preferences.
The WordDump menu items in Services Preferences are: Count Characters, Count Words, Dump Words and Spell Out Number.
Click down in the region to the right of these items in Services Preferences to associate keyboard shortcuts with them, and use the checkboxes to their left to include or exclude them from the Services menus.
Auxiliary Service items:
• The WordDump service, available from an app's Services menu, or its contextual menu, if it supports that, also counts the characters and words in files and text selections.
These menu items are called "Count Characters" and "Count Words." You may need to turn on the option to display the service menu items in the Services Preferences of System Preferences.
• Also: "Spell Out Number" service command. This service works on text that is a number, dumping it's value as a language string, placing the result on the clipboard ("pings" when done, "beeps" on error.)
1) 1461.2 = one thousand four hundred and sixty-one point two
2) 2010 = two thousand and ten
3) 60007896786543 - sixty trillion, seven billion, eight hundred and ninety-six million, seven hundred and eighty-six thousand, five hundred and forty-three
Try it for free! The free download runs as a fully functional trial.